Prince George County, Virginia formed from Charles City County. Legislative enactment in 1702. Organized in 1703.
Counties: Those Resulting from Virginia Legislation, by Morgan Poitiaux Robinson, originally published as
Bulletin of the Virginia State Library, Volume 9, January, April, July 1916, reprinted 1992 by Genealogical
Publishing Co., Inc., Baltimore, MD.]
Prince George County was named for Prince George of Denmark, husband of Queen Anne of England. It was
formed from Charles City County in 1702. Its area is 298 square miles, and the county seat is Prince George.
Geography: Land and Water
As reported by the Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 282 square miles (730 km2), of which, 266
square miles (688 km2) of it is land and 16 square miles (42 km2) of it (5.76%) is water.