Find schools and get information on the program that’s right for you.
Powered by Campus Explorer
Grant Parish is a parish located in the north central portion of the state of Louisiana. Based on the 2010 census, the population was 20,309. The parish was founded in 1869.The parish seat is Colfax.Grant Parish is named for US President Ulysses S. Grant
Grant Parish is part of the Alexandria, LA Metropolitan Statistical Area and Red River Valley. From 1940-1960, the parish had a dramatic population loss, as many African Americans left in the Great Migration to seek better opportunities elsewhere. Such migration continued until about 1970. The parish was also one of the eleven Reconstruction parishes created, created from Winn and Rapides parishes.
County QuickFacts: CensusBureau Quick Facts
Grant Parish was originally a part of the more populous Rapides Parish to the south. Prior to the American Civil War, the center of activity focused upon "Calhoun's Landing," named for the cotton and sugar planter Meredith Calhoun, a native of South Carolina. Calhoun also published the former National Democrat newspaper in what became Colfax, the seat of government of the new parish.
Grant Parish was created by Act 82 of March 4, 1869, from Rapides and Winn Parishes and the parish was named in honor of US President Ulysses S. Grant. The Parish seat is Colfax. The Courthouse had an unkown records loss in the 1880's.
As reported by the Census Bureau, the parish has a total area of 665 square miles (1,720 km2), of which 643 square miles (1,670 km2) is land and 22 square miles (57 km2) (3.3%) is water.
Grant Parish is located in northwest Louisiana. Part of the Kisatchie National Forest is located in this parish. The Little River is formed about three miles northeast of Georgetown by the joining together of the Dugdemona River and Castor Creek and flows originally southeast along the boundaries of Grant Parish.
Bordering parishes and counties are as follows:
Public schools in Grant Parish are operated by the Grant Parish School Board.