Louisiana is divided into sixty-four parishes. On March 31, 1807, the territorial legislature divided the state into 19 parishes, without getting rid of the
old counties (which continued to exist until 1845). In 1811, a constitutional convention organized the state into seven judicial districts, each consisting of groups of
parishes. In 1816, the first official map of the state used the term, as did the 1845 constitution. Since then, the official term has been parishes.
Get Your Degree!
Find schools and get information on the program that’s right for you.
St. Martin Parish Education, Geography, and History
St. Martin Parish is a parish located in the state of Louisiana. Based on the 2010 census, the population was 52,160. The parish seat is
St. Martinville. The parish was founded in 1807.
St. Martin Parish is part of the Lafayette, Louisiana Metropolitan Statistical Area. 27% of the population of St. Martin Parish have French
fluency, rated as one of the highest concentrations of French speakers in the nation.
St. Martin Parish was created on March 31, 1807. It is one of the 19 parishes, which were created by dividing the
Territory of New Orleans. The parish was named in honor of Saint Martin. The Parish seat is St Martinsville.
St. Martin Parish Courthouse - 1859
The first courthouse was built by slave labor long before the Civil War, while the present court house was built
in 1859 and has had at least five major additions and renovations. It is now a parish landmark.
Geography: Land and Water
As reported by the Census Bureau, the parish has a total area of 816 square miles (2,110 km2), of which 738 square miles (1,910 km2) is
land and 79 square miles (200 km2) (9.7%) is water. Iberia Parish divides St. Martin Parish into two separate areas, Upper and Lower St.
Bordering parishes and counties are as follows:
North: Pointe Coupee Parish
Northeast: Iberville Parish
Southeast: Assumption Parish; St. Mary Parish
Southwest: Iberia Parish
West: Lafayette Parish
Northwest: St. Landry Parish
Public schools in St. Martin Parish are operated by the St. Martin Parish School Board.