Find schools and get information on the program that’s right for you.
Powered by Campus Explorer
Sainte Genevieve County, often abbreviated Ste. Genevieve County (French: Ste-Geneviève), is a county located in the eastern portion of the US state of Missouri. Based on the 2010 census, the population was 18,145. The largest city and county seat is Ste. Genevieve. The county was officially organized on October 1, 1812, and is named after the Spanish district once located in the region, after Saint Genevieve, patroness of Paris, France. It includes the earliest settlement west of the Mississippi River outside of New Spain, part of the French colonial mid-Mississippi valley villages.
Named for the French saint, patroness of Paris.
County QuickFacts: CensusBureau Quick Facts
In 1763 France gave up her territory in America. To England were ceded Canada and all the territory of Louisiana and Illinois east of the Mississippi River, except New Orleans; to Spain were granted by secret treaty the country of Louisiana and Illinois west of the Mississippi River and New Orleans. Ste. Genevieve was one of the original districts. It comprised all the territory between the Meramec River to the north and Apple Creek to the south. There was no western boundary. In 1800 by the treaty of Ildephonso Louisiana, owned by Spain, was ceded back to France. In 1804 the territory was divided, and that north of the 33rd parallel was known as the District of Upper Louisiana. The same five districts were re-established. In 1812 by Act of Congress, Missouri Territory was formed, and the five districts were called counties. Ste. Genevieve County then was established on October 1, 1812, by proclamation of Governor William Clark. Later in 1812 a portion of Ste. Genevieve County around what was called Mine a Breton was set apart as Washington County. In 1818 Jefferson County was established out of St. Louis and Ste. Genevieve counties and Madison County out of Ste. Genevieve and Cape Girardeau counties. In 1820 Perry County was formed from Ste. Genevieve. In 1821 St. Francois County was made from parts of Ste. Genevieve, Jefferson, and Washington counties. On the northeast Ste. Genevieve is bounded by the Mississippi River, on the southeast by Perry County, on the southwest by St. Francois County, and on the northwest by St. Francois and Jefferson counties. Named from the town of Ste. Genevieve. (HIST. S.E. MISSOURI (1888) 183; Eaton; Houck (1908) II, 377-380; Violette (1918) 78-80)
Source: Zimmer, Gertrude M. "Place Names Of Five Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1944.
As reported by the Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 507 square miles (1,310 km2), of which 499 square miles (1,290 km2) is
land and 7.6 square miles (20 km2) (1.5%) is water. The county's northeastern border with Illinois is formed by the Mississippi River.
Bordering counties are as follows:
Of adults 25 years of age and older in Ste. Genevieve County, 73.8% possesses a high school diploma or higher while 8.1% holds a bachelor's degree or higher as their highest educational attainment.
Ste. Genevieve County R-II School District - Ste. Genevieve
Sacred Heart School - St. Mary - (K-05) - Roman Catholic
St. Agnes Catholic Elementary School - Bloomsdale - (PK-08) - Roman Catholic
St. Joseph Elementary School - Ste. Genevieve - (PK-05) - Roman Catholic
Valle Catholic Schools - Ste. Genevieve - (K-12) - Roman Catholic