Find schools and get information on the program that’s right for you.
Powered by Campus Explorer
Burleson County is a county located in the state of Texas. Based on the 2010 census, the population was 17,187. Its county seat is Caldwell.
The county is named for Edward Burleson, a general and statesman of the Texas Revolution.
Burleson County is part of the College Station-Bryan, TX Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Edward Burleson, a general and statesman of the Texas Revolution
County QuickFacts: CensusBureau Quick Facts
In the first legislature of the State of Texas (1846), a bill was introduced creating a new county called Burleson County carved out of land in Milam and Washington Counties. Burleson County was named for Gen Edward Burleson (1793-1851), who had fought in the Texas War for Independence and in Indian Wars.
Gen. Burleson was a congressman, senator, and vice president of the republic of Texas; and also served in the first state senate. Burleson County lost some area in 1874 when Lee County was created. In 1880 the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway built into Burleson county followed by the Houston & Texas Central railroad.
Handbook of Texas Online
Population increase soon produced demands for the organization of local government. In 1830 the territory of present Burleson County south of the Old San Antonio Road was included in the Precinct of Viesca, while the area of the future county north of the road, part of Robertson's colony, was incorporated into Viesca Municipality. In 1835 the region north of the road became part, first, of Milam Municipality, and then of Milam County, after the foundation of the republic in 1836. The territory south of the road and north of Yegua Creek was initially included in Washington Municipality, organized in 1835, and then in Washington County in 1836. In 1840 the area of the present county south of the Old San Antonio Road was transferred from Washington to Milam County. A small settlement and trading post established by Lewis L. Chiles by 1840 at the place where the Old San Antonio Road crossed Davidson Creek in what is now Burleson County was chosen to become the seat of the newly constituted Milam County. A new townsite, soon known as Caldwell, was platted in 1840 by George B. Erath. Finally, on March 24, 1846, the state's First Legislature established Burleson County, named for Gen. Edward Burleson, and designated Caldwell the county seat. The county acquired its present boundaries in 1874, when its western reaches beyond East Yegua Creek were given to the new Lee County, thus reducing Burleson County by some 31 percent. More at
Charles Christopher Jackson, "BURLESON COUNTY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hcb18), accessed January 23, 2016. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Burleson County was established for judicial and other purposes on January 15, 1842. It included all of what is now Burleson County and the northwest portion of what is now Lee County. Caldwell was named the county seat. A few weeks afterwards a Texas Supreme Court decision, Stockton v. Montgomery (1842), declared all judicial counties unconstitutional. The present Burleson County was established in 1846.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: James Wilmer Dallam, A Digest of the Laws of Texas (Baltimore: Toy, 1845). Hans Peter Nielsen Gammel,
comp., Laws of Texas, 1822-1897 (10 vols., Austin: Gammel, 1898).
As reported by the Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 678 square miles (1,755 km2), of which, 666
square miles (1,724 km2) of it is land and 12 square miles (32 km2) of it (1.81%) is water.
Bordering counties are as follows: