Find schools and get information on the program that’s right for you.
Powered by Campus Explorer
Childress County is a county located in the state of Texas. Based on the 2010 census, its population was 7,041. The county seat is Childress. The county was created in 1876 and later organized in 1887. It is named for George Campbell Childress, the author of the Texas Declaration of Independence.
George Campbell Childress, one of the authors of the Texas Declaration of Independence
County QuickFacts: CensusBureau Quick Facts
Formed from Young and Bexar Territories. Created August 21, 1876. Organized April 11, 1887. When Childress County was formed, an election in April 1887 named Childress City the county seat. Three months later in July, a second election moved the county seat to Henry, a railroad town. The name of Henry was changed to Childress and the city has been the county seat ever since. It is named for George Campbell Childress, the author of the Texas Declaration of Independence.
Handbook of Texas Online
Farms began to be established in the Childress County in the 1880s after the Fort Worth and Denver City extended its tracks into the area. This railroad began construction of its line from Fort Worth to the Texas-New Mexico border in 1881 and crossed into Childress County in April 1887. Organization of the county soon followed. A move to organize the county began even as the rails were being laid across it. A lively competition for the role of county seat developed between two townsites: Childress City, favored by most of the county residents, and Henry, the site favored by the railroad. In an election held in April 1887, county residents chose Childress City as their county seat, but soon changed their minds to accommodate demands and threats leveled by the railroad company. The Fort Worth and Denver City threatened not to stop in Childress City unless the election results were reversed, and sweetened its demand by offering lot owners in Childress City equal lots in Henry, the railroad's town. Using these tactics the FW&DC was able to force a new election in July 1887, and in the second election Henry became the county seat; its name was changed to Childress. The old Childress City disappeared as all its buildings were moved to the new town. More at
Donald R. Abbe, "CHILDRESS COUNTY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hcc11), accessed January 23, 2016. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
As reported by the Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 714 square miles (1,848 km2), of which, 710
square miles (1,840 km2) of it is land and 3 square miles (8 km2) of it (0.46%) is water.
Bordering counties are as follows: