Find schools and get information on the program that’s right for you.
Powered by Campus Explorer
Hood County is a county located on the Edwards Plateau in the state of Texas. Based on the 2010 census, the population was 51,182. Its
county seat is Granbury. The county is named for John Bell Hood, a Confederate lieutenant general and the commander of Hood's Texas
Hood County is part of the Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX Metropolitan Statistical Area and the Granbury Micropolitan Area.
John Bell Hood, a Confederate lieutenant general and the commander of Hood's Texas Brigade
County QuickFacts: CensusBureau Quick Facts
Hood County was formed in 1866 from portions of Johnson County.. Its seat is Granbury. Hood County is named for John Bell Hood, a Confederate lieutenant general and the commander of Hood's Texas Brigade.
Handbook of Texas Online
Hood County was formed in November 1866 by an act of the Eleventh Texas Legislature. The area had been within the Municipality of San Felipe de Austin as early as 1823 and the Municipality of Viesca in 1834. After Texas became a republic, the area now known as Hood County had, at one time or another, been part of Robertson, Navarro, McLennan, Johnson, and Erath counties. The county was named after Lt. Gen. John Bell Hood of the Confederate Army. The county seat was to be named in honor of Confederate general Hiram Bronson Granbury. Location of the new county seat was a controversial issue. Residents in the southern section of the county favored the center of the county, as stated in the law. The other choice was a parcel of land donated by influential county leaders Thomas Lambert and J. F. and J. Nutt. The commission established to designate the county seat, citing a poor water supply at the center of the county, voted in favor of the donated land. The controversy surrounding the site of Granbury eventually caused the residents of the southern section of the county to petition for a new county. As a result, in 1875, Somervell County was established by an act of the Texas legislature. In that same year a fire destroyed the courthouse in Granbury. From the first days of organized government Hood County has voted Democratic at the local and state level. Immediately after the Civil War the county was overwhelmingly Democratic, owing mainly to the predominantly white population. In 1870 whites made up 96 percent of the population. The highest total of blacks in Hood County was 241 in 1900, or only 3 percent of the population. The last three decades of the nineteenth century saw a steady increase in the population, and in 1910 the total was just over 10,000. The number of farms also reached its zenith (1,786) in 1910. The primary crops were cotton, corn, and oats. Numbers of livestock also reached a peak between 1900 and 1910. In the latter year there were more than 22,500 cattle in Hood County. Residents were able to send their produce and livestock to market on the Fort Worth and Rio Grande Railway, which had been completed in 1887 More at
Rhonda L. Callaway, "HOOD COUNTY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hch17), accessed January 24, 2016. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
As reported by the Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 437 square miles (1,131 km2), of which, 422
square miles (1,092 km2) of it is land and 15 square miles (39 km2) of it (3.48%) is water.
Bordering counties are as follows:
The following school districts serve Hood County:
Bluff Dale ISD (mostly in Erath County)
Glen Rose ISD (mostly in Somervell County)
Godley ISD (mostly in Johnson County, small portion in Tarrant County)
Granbury ISD (small portion in Johnson, Parker counties)
Lipan ISD (small portion in Erath, Palo Pinto, and Parker counties)