Find schools and get information on the program that’s right for you.
Powered by Campus Explorer
The Switzer Covered Bridge was adopted on July 15, 1998 as the Kentucky State Covered Bridge.
One of Kentucky's few covered bridges, was built in 1855. Totally restored after flood waters destroyed bridge. A park by the bridge offers a peaceful place to picnic and admire the scenery of Elkhorn Creek.
In Franklin County, about a 40-minute drive from Lexington, near our state's capital city of Frankfort, stands the Switzer Bridge which spans the North Fork of Elkhorn Creek. Switzer Bridge once carried KY 1262 across North Elkhorn Creek at Switzer in eastern Franklin county.
Built in 1855, by George Hockensmith, the bridge, 120 feet long, 11 feet 6 inches wide and 12 feet high spans the north Elkhorn at Switzer. The
Switzer bridge is one, of several covered bridges that still exist in Kentucky. In 1906 the bridge was restored by Louis Bower. The bridge has long
been lovingly tended to by the community. Despite these efforts, in March of 1997 devastating floods swept the bridge off of its foundation. Fortunately,
the bridge itself was salvageable and has been restored with the help of state and federal agencies. Its Howe truss structure (closed to traffic) stands
12 feet high and 120 feet long.
To reach Switzer Bridge from Lexington, take US 60 to Frankfort, turning right onto US 460. At Forks of Elkhorn, turn left onto KY 1689. About five miles down this road turn right on to SR 1262.
The law designating the Switzer Covered Bridge in Franklin County as the official Kentucky state covered bridge is found in the Kentucky Revised Statutes, Title 1, Chapter 2, Section 2.270.
TITLE I - SOVEREIGNTY AND JURISDICTION OF THE COMMONWEALTH.
CHAPTER 2 - CITIZENSHIP, EMBLEMS, HOLIDAYS, AND TIME.
2.270 Covered bridge capital of Kentucky
Official covered bridge of Kentucky.
(1) Fleming County is named and designated as the "Covered Bridge Capital of Kentucky."
(2) The Switzer Covered Bridge in Franklin County is named and designated as the official covered bridge of Kentucky.
Effective: July 15, 1998
History: Created 1998 Ky. Acts ch. 404, sec. 1, effective July 15, 1998.